National Bereavement Organizations
- American Academy of Bereavement P.O. Box 912 Buffalo, NY 14225-0912 800-726-3888 www.bereavementacademy.org Affiliate of the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care that provides extensive training related to palliative care and bereavement issues.
- Center for Loss and Transition 3735 Broken Bow Road Ft. Collins, CO 80526 970-226-6050 www.centerforloss.com
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization 1901 N. Moore Street Suite 901 Arlington, VA 22209 703-243-5900 www.nhpco.org Offers training through its Council of Hospice Professionals.
- The Dougy Center: National Center for Grieving Children and Families P.O. Box 86852 Portland, OR 97286 503-775-5683 www.dougy.org Center for grieving children & families that has served as a model for other centers around the country. Provides training in how to develop such a program.
- Association for Death Education and Counseling 342 North Main Street West Hartford, CT 06117-2507 860-586-7503 www.adec.org The home organization for many professionals who work with death, dying, and bereavement.
- New England Center for Loss and Transition P.O. Box 185311 Hamden, CT 06518 www.covect.org Holds annual conference on loss and bereavement. Keeps a database of support resources all over the Northeastern United States.
Hospice Written Resources
- Centering Corporation 1531 N. Saddle Creek Road Omaha, NE 68104 402-553-1200 www.centering.org Book service that specializes in books and audio-video materials related to illness, death and bereavement.
- Compassion Books 477 Hannah Branch Road Burnsville, NC 28714 828-675-5909 www.compassionbooks.com Book service that specializes in books and audio-video materials related to illness, death, and bereavement.
Hospice Support Organizations
- AARP – Widowed Person’s Service 800-424-3410 www.aarp.org/griefandloss Support groups and services for widows and widowers.
- Fernside- A Center for Grieving Children 2303 Indian Mound Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45212 513-841-1012 www.fernside.org Information and support service for grieving children and their caregivers.
- The Compassionate Friends P.O. Box 3696 Oak Brook, IL 60522-3696 630-990-0010 www.compassionatefriends.org Self-help organization for parents who have had a child die. Also has a catalog of excellent printed materials.
- Theos 322 Boulevard of the Allies – Suite 105 Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1919 412-471-7779 Information and support groups for widowed persons nationwide.
Hospice Grief/Bereavement Websites
- www.counselingstlouis.net This is the Sibling Connection website- information for anyone who has lost a sibling.
- When You Feel You’ve Lost Your Purpose After Caregiving Ends
- When You’re Sleeping Poorly — Or Not at All
- When You Feel Consumed by Guilt
- When You Don’t Feel Appreciated
- When You’re in Over Your Head
- When You Lose Your Temper
- When You Feel Your Family Is Being Torn Apart
- When You’re Just Not Eating Right
- When You Don’t See Friends Much Any More
- When You Resent Being a Caregiver
- When You’re Grieving . . . but Your Loved One Is Still Alive
- When No One Will Help
Diagnosis Related Web Sites
Call us today to learn the many benefits of the Medicare Hospice Benefit and the difference in care you will receive with Oklahoma Hospice Care!